Full-time and Part-time Day Unit Faculty Course Materials Under the Day Contract – – Please Note-This does not apply to DCE day/evening/weekend/summer adjunct faculty (DCE Contract Applies)
Faculty are required to distribute course materials to each student and forward a copy to the immediate supervisor prior to the conclusion of the add/drop period. The course materials shall include all materials listed on the attached Checklist for Course Materials. (Form XIII-E2)
The confidentiality of these materials shall be maintained and the employer may not distribute these materials to anyone without your permission. The immediate supervisor must return all course materials to the faculty member by the end of the fifth (5th) week of classes. If items on the checklist are missing or if the immediate supervisor has concerns, the faculty member will be advised in writing and will be given fourteen (14) calendar days to submit the missing items and respond to the concerns.
The intent of this 14 day response period serves two (2) purposes:
1) To give the faculty member the opportunity to correct an oversight without a negative comment being placed in the summary evaluation.
2) To insure that students have all of the items on the checklist.
NB: Please note that faculty have full freedom in the selection of course materials. If the faculty member believes that a directive from the immediate supervisor to change the course materials infringes upon academic freedom, then the faculty member has the right to initiate the grievance process. Full freedom in selecting course materials includes full freedom to:
Select texts and paperbacks,
Adopt instructional objectives,
Adopt teaching procedures,
Give Assignments and/or supplemental reading,
Determine the basis for student grading,
Determine the criteria for evaluating student performance, and
Determine attendance policy.
Full-time Faculty Office Hours
1) All faculty are required to submit their preferred office hour schedule at the beginning of the semester and post their office hour schedule by the end of the first week of classes.
2) Office hours are required on campus unless a faculty member is approved to hold office hours at an off campus instructional site.
3) Faculty are required to maintain four (4) office hours per week over four (4) days unless a faculty member has a reduced instructional workload.
4) For faculty with reduced instructional workloads, one (1) office hour is reduced for each three (3) credit hour course reduction. This means that the number of days required for office hours is reduced by one (1) day for each office hour reduced.
Adjunct Faculty Office Hours
Adjunct faculty are not required to submit and/or post office hours under the day contract and/or the DCE Contract. If you are a day/unit part time faculty member, then there is no requirement to post/ hold/provide office hours. If you are a DCE unit member (day or evening), there is no requirement to post and hold set office hours, but there is language in the DCE contract that states you are obligated to be available to students by appointment when mutually convenient.
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact me.