- Thirty-four faculty from 16 public higher ed. campuses came to the State House to lobby legislators on S. 1912.
- MTA leaders and lobbyists as well as State House legislators were acknowledged for their leadership on this bill.
- Three faculty panels from all sectors of public higher education testified at the Public Service Committee hearing in support of S. 1912. ORP faculty who testified with me on the MCCC panel included Karen Dufault from Quinsigamond, Wayne Klug from Berkshire, and Marie Canaves from Cape Cod.
- If this bill is important to you or your ORP-enrolled faculty, please contact your Representative this week, if you have not already done so, and ask every interested ORP faculty to do the same. Ask Representatives to support the inclusion of S. 1912 in any pension reform package developed by the House. The best chance for this ORP bill to get passed by the legislature would be to have it included in this pension reform bill. Such inclusion would be appropriate since S. 1912 is about retirement fairness and equity for current retirees.
- If your Representative supports this bill, ask that s/he contact Rep. John Scibak, the House Chair of Public Service, to ask him to include this bill in the current pension reform bill that the House is drafting.
- I have attached related talking points that can guide you in any ORP bill discussions with legislators.
- Contacting Representatives:
- If you have met with your legislators to talk to them about this bill, please thank them.
- The four Representatives that I’ve listed below gave testimony to the Public Service Committee in support of S. 1912. If these are your legislators, please send them a thank you and ask for their continued support for S. 1912 to be included in the House pension reform bill. It would be appropriate for other ORP faculty who are interested in seeing this bill pass to also thank these legislators:
- The House pension reform legislation may move quickly. Your lobbying will be needed at each step of the ORP bill’s legislative journey. Collective, timely action is the only way we can expect this bill to be enacted. Your support is crucial to the success of this campaign, so please stay involved if this bill matters to you.
- An ORP Subcommittee is exploring a letter writing campaign to the Commissioner of Higher Education, Richard Freeland. We want him to be our ally in this campaign. More details will be forthcoming about this at the end of the week.
MCCC Vice President & SAC Chair
MTA Director & HELC Vice Chair