Classroom observation evaluations take place in the fall semester of an evaluation year. The evaluator selects the time frame and class with specific notice requirements. A one time postponement is allowed. Usually, the evaluator and the faculty member mutually agree to the class to be observed, but contract language gives the employer the authority to select the class consistent with the timetable below.
Who Is Evaluated?
The immediate supervisor is required to complete at least one classroom observation per calendar year for faculty in pre-tenure years (1-6) and every third year for tenured faculty. These evaluations have been done traditionally in the Fall semester and become part of the February 1st Summary Evaluation.
Timetable and Observed Class
1) Faculty will be advised of a 2 week period during which the evaluator will conduct the classroom observation.
2) Then, the evaluator will give the faculty member at least 24 hours’ notice of the date of the specific classroom observation.
3) Faculty may request a one time postponement if the request is made 24 hours in advance of the postponement.
4) Faculty may submit supplemental materials regarding the planned classroom observation and may request pre-observation and post-observation conferences. Your classroom presentation, pre-observation conference, and post observation conference should focus on the 6 objectives on the evaluation form. If a post observation is requested, it shall occur within 2 weeks after the observation.
5) The evaluator shall forward the classroom observation using Form XIII-E3 to the faculty member within 14 days of the observation. (Form Attached)
6) Faculty have 7 working days to respond to the evaluation and the response will be attached to the summary evaluation.
7) In accordance with Article 13.06, upon request, unit members shall be provided with written reasons for the evaluation.
8)Faculty may file a grievance within 30 calendar days from receipt of the classroom observation.
119 Rocky Pond Road
Plymouth, MA 02360